Malmo Opera – Increasing attendance through Dynamic Pricing
By Thomas Wickell, Marketing Director of Malmö Opera, Sweden.
Long before the emergence of Secondary Market sites, the notion of ‘airline style’ market-led pricing for live entertainment tickets was being fiercely debated.
Some within the industry claim that dynamic pricing has been in practice for years through discounting and packaging. But taking a lead from the Secondary Market, sports teams and theatre venues have been experimenting with much more sophisticated pricing tools and processes.
But how successful have they been?
Malmo Opera has worked with a system for analysing price and behavior for several years now, finding new, small details that it can change and adjust in order to be more effective.
Ticketing Technology Forum 2014 is delighted to welcome Thomas Wickell, Marketing Director of Malmö Opera, Sweden, to share how Dynamic Pricing has been implemented at the Opera house which, in result, has increased attendance by 50% in the space of a year.
Here Thomas shares his five key points to creating a successful Dynamic Pricing strategy within venues:
1. Dynamic pricing is just one part of a successful pricing strategy – get your prices right from the start!
2. A huge advantage of dynamic pricing is that it offers the venue the flexibility to respond to unexpected patterns in demand.
3. Dynamic pricing is planned as part of the overall strategy and should not be considered in isolation – it needs to work in harmony with other areas of strategy e.g. subscription.
4. Monitoring demand is important – the earlier you can make changes the more impact they will have.
5. Learn from what you do – evaluating what works and what doesn’t means you become more effective each year.
Discover the potential for your venue at Ticketing Technology Forum 2014! Email us.
What are people saying?
The highest number of exciting conversations we've ever had at a conference!
Natalie Senyk Business Development Manager, Softjourn
The best networking place I've been to. I was able to get very high level leads and meet relevant partners. You did a great great job to gather such high level and exhaustive people!
Chloé Julien Founder & CEO, BandSquare, France
A very well organised conference and great fun too. Many exciting opportunities in the pipeline...
Lea Stiels Marketing Manager, Oxynade
CIOs, CTO,s Chief Execs... all those people turn up at this event. it’s a fantastic opportunity to engage with them
Rick Jurkiewicz Head of Ticketing, The Rugby Football League, UK
2019 was our first year at the Forum, we are really happy and have had a lot of very exciting conversations.
Kelsey McGrath Operations Manager, PixelPin
This is the focal point of the ticketing industry in Europe, where the decision-makers meet and exchange ideas